Monday, January 11, 2010

A few of my favorite things- part 3, "You had me at the box."

It started with a box.

Michael's grandmother, Gram, made a tradition of giving a Christmas gift to her husband, Gramps, every year in the same box. Eventually the box made its way into the family. Each year someone new receives a gift in the box. This year I got the box! Because the box is valued and part of tradition, just getting the box was a gift.

But the blessing didn't stop there!

Before I continue, you'll need some back story: nearly two years ago I had a naked wall in my house. While visiting my s.i.l. her buffet (which was being stored under her house) asked me if it could come live at my house on that naked wall. My heart went out to the abandoned buffet, and I asked Lindsey if I could "store" it for her . She agreed, and in addition said I could "paint it whatever color I wanted to." Being the thoughtful s.i.l. that I am, I chose a color that would never compliment the colorscape (it should be a word) of her home, RED!
I really want to store the buffet as long as possible.

Shortly after we Michael painted it red his parents were over visiting. Michael's dad liked the buffet, but commented that I needed a red bench in my front window to compliment it. I agreed, and ever since have been searching for a bench to compliment the buffet.

This Christmas my search was over-red bench collage

Michael's dad made me a bench and painted it buffet red! As they removed the sheet, displaying my thoughtful gift, tears filled my eyes, and I said, "You had me at the box."

It is so good to be known.

5 comments:

  1. Denise, I came over to thank you for commenting on my blog. I am going to borrow your list idea for medications. I'm always digging for something and when I find it I discover it's expired. Great plan!

    Also, I absolutely LOVED your three part post you just did. When my Dad was a baby he took the train to Missouri with my grandparents, where my great-grandpa bought Dad a pair of jeans. Fast forward, those jeans are still in the family. He wore them, my younger sister and I wore them, and together our three kids have worn them, just like the special dress in the special chair.
    Your bench and buffet look wonderful, I hope they can remain together forever. :)

    Also, the doll beds your husband made for the American Girl dolls are absolutely gorgeous, as is the bedding you made. Those will be keepsakes generations to come will enjoy. When we were girls our Dad also made us each doll beds, which I still have. I couldn't agree more with you about the importance of teaching your children how to do things. It truly is an investment towards the future. Unfortunately my husband didn't receive much training in the handyman area, but makes up for it by being hands on with many other areas.

    I have so enjoyed my visit to your blog today. Can't wait to come back and get to know you better.

    Hope you have a blessed day,
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was so great to read. To be known...what a blessing! SEE YOU SOON! Woohoo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great story! I love the bench almost as much as the box :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this post, and I think you FIL ROCKS!!! =)

    ReplyDelete