Thursday, May 17, 2007

Fertile for the changes

From Donald Millers book "Through Painted Deserts"

I could not have known then that everybody, every person has to leave, has to change like seasons; they have to or they die.
The seasons remind me that I must keep changing, and I want to change because it is Gods way. All my life I have been changing. I changed from a baby to a child, from soft toys to a dagger, a teenager to drive a car, into a worker to spend money. I will change into a husband to love a woman, into a father to love a child, change houses, friends, keep changing with my wife, getting our love so it dies and gets born again and again.
Everybody has to change or they expire. Everybody has to leave, leave their home and come back so they can love it again for all new reasons. I want to keep my soul fertile for the changes, so things keep getting born in me, so things keep dying when it is time for things to die. I want to keep walking away from the person I was a moment ago. Only a good story has a character different at the end than it was in the beginning.
And so my prayer is that your story will have involved some leaving and some coming home. My hope is that your story will be about changing, about getting something beautiful born inside of you.
It might be time for you to go, time to change, to shine out.
Leave, it is a beautiful word, isn't it? So strong and forceful, the way you have always wanted to be. And you will not be alone. You have never been alone. Don't worry. Everything will still be here when you get back. It is you who will have changed.

2 comments:

  1. denise - tag! you're it! (check out my blog, and you'll understand)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree, change is good are there are lots of seasons !! ;)

    ReplyDelete