Saturday, May 2, 2009

like butter

noah is 11 today.

we spent the a.m. yesterday watching home videos from 1998. my boy really loves me and let me hold him tight for a while as we watched together; baby at the hospital, meeting the great grandparents, his dedication, and each month's b-day marked with recordings of him narrated with a tender mommy voice ( i miss that voice) sharing all things my noah could now do (put his fist in his mouth, lift his head, scoot...).


and now he is 11.

and i LOVE him.

and he LOVES me.

john eldredge (author of Wild at Heart) might think it is totally inappropriate, but i think there is a sweet romance between a mother and her son. i know this because my boy melts me like butter! when he turns on our song, "How Sweet It Is" and asks me to dance, when he leaves me a note to tell me he loves me, when he opens the door for the girls and i, when he surprises me with a scrambled egg b-fast, or extends a helpful hand, when he wraps his arms around me and says "your my favorite," and when he gives me the look.

it is so good to be a loved mommy.

i think of those first moments after he was born, holding him, and saying to God "a boy?" (we chose to be surprised), and our generous God replied, "now you have two men to love you."

11 years later i am overwhelmed by the ways God chooses to lavish His great love on me.

Happy Birthday Noah!

9 comments:

  1. My first born arrived on February 28th. I can relate to this post because my son has completely stolen my heart and changed my world. I love him more than I could have imagined and know that will only continue to grow as he gets older.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday to your sweet Noah!

    I can SO relate to the "melting like butter". Just yesterday he did it again when he sweetly proclaimed ME to be HIS favorite :)

    There is such a special love shared between a mommy and her boy, and I wouldn't trade it for anything!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your boy is soooo adorable! Hope you have a wonderful day celebrating!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How perfect. Makes me smile and want to go hug my own little men. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh sweet Noah - Happy Birthday. I love the pictures you posted.

    My boy steals my heart daily and feel so blessed to be mama to a boy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it's great that your son loves you. I hope that my boys really love me like that some day. I also think it's a great way to treat him how to care for his wife someday. I pray that you and your husband will continue to teach your young man to be chivalrous and how to treat a lady (you, being the example). Thanks for sharing that sweet story with us!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My baby boy who is 7 loves me, too. And he's very jealous. And I like it that way. :)

    You know what? It will fade soon enough, and before we know it, there will be another woman in their lives. So what the heck, lets indoctrinate them now! :)

    By the way, that is ONE CUTE BOY you have there... no wonder he melts ya like butta. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a sweet, sweet post...brought tears to my eyes. Boys are special!!

    ReplyDelete